Jazz Festivals and Events Calendars
- Pensacola JazzFest (OURS!) (April)
Held by the Jazz Society of Pensacola during the month of April in Pensacola Florida’s historic Seville Square.
- French Quarter Fest New Orleans (April) – www.fqfi.org/frenchquarterfest
- Seabreeze Jazz Festival Panama City, FL (April) www.seabreezejazzfestival.com
- New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival New Orleans, LA (April/May) – www.nojazzfest.com
- Main Street JazzFest – Murfreesboro, TN (May) – www.mainstreetjazzfest.com
- W.C. Handy Music Festival – www.wchandymusicfestival.org Held annually in the Shoals area of Florence, Alabama. A weeklong tribute to the “Father of the Blues,” W.C. Handy.
- Jazz-By-The-Bay JazzFest, Panama City, FL (October) presented by Gulf Jazz Society www.gulfjazzsociety.org
- Sounds of Jazz & Blues – Cape Coral, FL (March) – www.capeconcerts.com
- North Carolina Jazz Festival – (January) – By the Cape Fear Jazz Society – www.ncjazzfestival.com
- Hearts & Soul of Jazz – Pinehurst, NC, (February)
Heart ‘n Soul of Jazz is ACMC’s glitziest event and is presented at the Carolina Hotel in Pinehurst. www.artscouncil-moore.org/jazz.html
- Savannah Music Festival – Savannah, GA, (March/April) – www.savannahmusicfestival.org
- Sweet & Hot Music Festival – Los Angeles (Labor Day Weekend) Each Labor Day weekend at the Los Angeles Marriott, the Sweet & Hot Music Festival takes over 4-days of Swing, Be Bop, Big Bands, Dixieland, and Classic American Jazz Music, often in 8 venues at once. www.sweethot.org
- Radio Avalon – www.radioavalon.com
Radio Avalon, L.L.C. produces several live events including “Brown Bag In Bienville”, “Music In The Moonlight”, “Big Band Sunday”, and the forthcoming “Avalon Music Festival” in Mobile, Alabama.
- Alexander City Jazz Fest, Alexander City, AL (June) – www.alexcityjazzfest.com
- Arbor Records Invitational Jazz Party, (January)
Arbors Records presents the annual three-day Jazz Party in Clearwater Beach, Florida. Info at www.arborsrecords.com
- Jazz & Blues Florida, (January)
Florida’s Online Guide to Live Jazz and Blues. Info at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com
- Atlanta Jazz Party, (April) Info at www.atlantajazzparty.com
- Suncoast Jazz Classic, (November) Clearwater Beach, FL, Nov. 22-24, contact: suncoastjazzclassic.com
(history, education, research, etc…)
- All Music.com – www.allmusic.com
Great source for info about recordings and performers of any kind of music, including jazz.
- The Jazz Education Network – www.jazzednet.org
The Jazz Education Network is dedicated to building the jazz arts community by advancing education, promoting performance and developing new audiences.
- Jazz Education: A Timeline www.distance-education.
org/Degrees/Jazz-Education–A- Timeline-A535 This site was recommended to us by Nicole, a student in an afterschool program in New York. While Nicole was working on a Music Education assignment, she found the JSOP site, as well as the Jazz Timeline website linked above. We are delighted that they are studying music and Jazz in particular, and this site is a great addition to our Links! Thanks, Nicole, and Mrs. Crawford!
- JazzStandards.com – www.jazzstandards.com
Songs, History, Biographies.
Musicians, educators, researchers, and disc jockeys, use this quick reference site for the standards jazz performers play the most!
- A Passion for Jazz – www.apassion4jazz.net
History, education, glossary, timeline, styles, milestones, etymology, music tips, etc…
- Tom Lord’s Jazz Discography – “Everything you need to know about virtually any jazz record ever released.” The Jazz Discography gives you accurate, detailed information on over 100 years of recorded jazz in all genres. – www.lordisco.com
- Noal Cohen’s Jazz History Site - www.attictoys.com
Contains information on several musicians and topics of special interest including jazz of the 1950s and early 1960s and musicians from Rochester, NY. Detailed discographies created using the Brian database application, a major advance in the field of jazz discography.
- Sidney Bechet Society – www.sidneybechet.org
To promote the music inspired by Sidney Bechet. Lots of recordings at this site!
- Radio Avalon – www.radioavalon.com
Radio Avalon produces several compact discs of local artists that are available at the “Avalon Marketplace” and downloadable podcasts available at “Podcast Projects”.
- Wild Women of Song – www.wildwomenofsong.com
The Great American Songbook is bursting with wonderful music penned by many very industrious, although historically nearly invisible ladies. Find out more about these unknown, but certainly not unsung writers at: http://www.wildwomenofsong.com/
- Jazz Video Café – from Mosaic Records – www.jazzvideocafe.com
Presenting videos of wonderful performances, interviews, demonstrations, and snippets of documentaries that jazz fans will find enjoyable and fascinating.
- HyperMusic – History of Jazz – http://hypermusic.ca/jazz/mainmenu.html
An interesting overview, including timeline, of the history of jazz. Excellent resource for music students and teachers, to introduce the history of jazz in a relatively simple and easy to understand format. (Referred to us by a young jazz musician in Jericho, Vermont, whose music teacher has been using the JSOP “links” webpage as a resource for her students.)
- Joe Occhipinti
Big band or small groups Music Director for Jazz Society 850-433-6287 email@example.com
- Crystal Joy
Jazz Vocalist firstname.lastname@example.org
- David Anthony Suhor
Vocals, keys, singing telegrams www.davidsuhor.com 850-512-2220
- The Guffman Trio
Cynthia Domulot – keyboard, Tom Latenser – bass, Fred Domulot – drums www.myspace.com/theguffmantrio
- Kathy Lyon
Jazz Vocalist. www.kathylyonmusic.com
Email: Kathylyon@bellsouth.net / 850-936-5634
- Longineu Parsons & Ted Shumate: Blues for the 21st Century
- Dukes of Dixieland The DUKES of Dixieland blow traditional jazz and Dixieland into the 21st Century, weaving strands of pop, gospel, and country with authentic New Orleans sounds. www.dukesofdixieland.com
- Jazz Times Magazine – www.jazztimes.com
Founded in 1970 by Ira Sabin. Includes Extensive News Coverage, Award Winning Jazz Journalism, Hundreds of CD, Book and Video Reviews, World Class Photography and Award-Winning Graphics, Informative Features and Columns, Special Theme Issues, Special Directories, Readers Poll and Critics Picks, Sound$weeps (sweepstakes)
- JAM – Jazz Ambassador’s Magazine
(by the Kansas City Jazz Ambassadors)
Dedicated to preserving the rich heritage of Kansas City jazz and developing and promoting the current Kansas City jazz scene. www.kcjazzambassadors.com
- The American Rag – America’s Largest Traditional Jazz and Ragtime Newspaper Monthly publication serves over sixty pages of commentary, news, articles of interest and reviews as well as the people, places and festivals defining the excitement of today’s traditional Jazz and Ragtime scene. – www.TheAmericanRag.com
JazzWeek is the definitive Jazz and Smooth Jazz national radio airplay chart—a weekly report of the top fifty Jazz and Smooth Jazz recordings played on radio stations across the United States and Canada. – www.jazzweek.com
- Radio Avalon – www.radioavalon.com
Broadcast over WHIL-91.3 FM in Mobile, AL. Owned by Thomas “Catt” Sirten, program producer and host. Radio Avalon, L.L.C. produces several live events including “Brown Bag In Bienville”, “Music In The Moonlight”, “Big Band Sunday”, and the forthcoming “Avalon Music Festival”.
Radio Avalon is very active in the local music community, producing several compact discs of local artists that are available at the “Avalon Marketplace” and downloadable podcasts available at “Podcast Projects”.
- 98.3 – Smooth Jazz Sunday (Mobile, Alabama)
WDLT 98.3 FM, Mobile, AL, 6am-9am – www.msnusers.com/smoothoperator983 & www.983wdlt.com
- WUWF 88.1 – (University of West Florida)
It is the mission of WUWF Public Media to present, promote, preserve and encourage musical and spoken-word arts through our broadcast, web, and community outreach programs; provide credible, in-depth news and information to the public; serve as a vital community catalyst and a forum for the exchange of ideas; and to secure a sound fiscal basis for the continuation of public radio in Northwest Florida and South Alabama. http://wuwf.org
- University of North Texas Public Radio 88.1 - www.kntu.unt.edu
A great jazz station which can be heard via internet.
Jazz Societies and Clubs
- Gulf Jazz Society www.gulfjazzsociety.org
- Central Florida Jazz Society www.centralfloridajazzsociety.com
- Jazz Club of Sarasota (FL) www.jazzclubsarasota.com
- Mobile (Alabama) Jazz Society – Mystic Order of the Jazz Obsessed www.mojojazz.org
- Dixieland Jazz Society (San Diego)
- Gainesville Friends of Jazz and Blues (FL)
- The Space Coast Jazz Society (S. Florida)
- Pike’s Peak Jazz & Swing Society (Southern Colorado)
- The Tri-State Jazz Society (New Jersey)
- Cape Fear Jazz Society (North Carolina)
- Madison Jazz Society (Madison, Wisconsin)
- Perdido Key Chamber of Commerce SNOWBIRD Info and Discount card – http://visitperdido.com/snow-birds
- Pensacola To Do Local coupons, specials and events – www.pensacolatodo.com
- Pensacola Wine Festival – www.pensacolawinefestival.com
- Pensacola Swing – www.pensacolaswing.com
- Pensacola State College – www.pensacolastate.edu